So this week I was in Toronto for the nextMEDIA conference.
nextMEDIA is Canada’s premier C-level conference and marketplace for executive level media professionals and technologists working in the digital space -nextmediaevents.com
So now in quick note form here are some of the key things I learned at nextMEDIA:
- Branded content: A.k.a the new product placement. The traditional broadcast model is dead and branded entertainment is the new form of advertising media. And, by integrating advertisement the right way, you can add value to the content.
- Marketing budgets have gone social: The web was once read, now it’s read and write. Social is an integrated approach that can be used to have conversations with your audience.
- Word of mouth: It’s all about the people and the “voice of a friend”. This is the most trusted form of endorsement. Would you recommend my product or brand to a friend?
One of my favorite session was by Kevin Roberts. His talk was all about the unreasonable power of creativity and the importance of storytellers.
- Introduce us to great characters.
- Make us laugh.
- Create a bigger meaning.
- Surprise us with the obvious.
- Touch us, move us.
- Are contagious.
We live in the Age of Now: Participation, inspiration and interaction.
Day 2 lectures covered marketing in the digital age and how advertising is content and great content is creative.
I also learned that consumers can tell you everything you want to know. And that failure teaches you what success is. I am a huge believer in this because the best way to learn is through your failures.
Social Listening: I have to admit sometimes I neglect to do this. In my never ending quest to push out new content I sometimes forget to stop and listen to the feedback from my viewers. So, I promise I will try and listen to you guys more.
I would love to have typed up every note I took at this conference, however that would make this blog post ridiculously long. Regardless of all the amazing facts I learned this week, the most important thing I received from this conference was inspiration. Inspiration to make more engaging and more entertaining videos for you.
Don’t forget to check out my post on the 2011 Digi Awards and my win for Canada’s Top Social Media Maven.